[GnomeMeeting-list] KDE address book support in Ekiga

Hi everyone,

A small notice to let you know that I am working on adding support for KDE
Address Book (kab) to Ekiga. I already have some early "proof of concept"
code working (see screenshot at
http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/ekiga/screenshot.png).

KDE Address Book is an application of its own, but it's also a library that is
used by most KDE applications (KMail, Kontact, KPilot, Kopete, ...), and also
by third-party applications like OpenOffice.org. It can use several
"resources" for its addresses: local VCard files, remote LDAP servers, etc.

Before anyone does the remark : YES it would be better if Evolution/GNOME and
KDE shared the same address book library. But currently we have to live with
this situation...

There are two issues that currently slow me down a bit:

1) Ekiga's address book model distinguishes between "local" and "remote"
address books. This makes little sense for kab which can transparently use
both local and remote resources. In a first time, my code will act as a
"local" address book, just like Evolution address book.

2) KDE address book currently has no field for SIP nor H323 addresses. I am
currently trying to contact Will Stephenson (KDE) who added support for Skype
addresses to see how we could do that cleanly.

Of course, this functionality will remain optional and require no library for
those who can live without it :-).

Any suggestion, wish, encouragement, criticism, and/or offer for help is
welcome.

Hoping that helps,

--
Éric