Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Free Your Speech!

Hello,

Le lundi 09 janvier 2006 à 00:31 +0100, Timothée Lecomte a écrit :
> Hello !
>
> That's a great work, and a good name !

Thanks!

> I paid big attention to your blog, and my eyes read :
> "# New NAT binding refresh technics. Ekiga can now be transparently
> reachable behind most NAT implementations (including Linux) without any
> port forwarding. I have discussed with Harald Welte from the Netfilter
> core team so that the UDP binding time is by default increased for the
> Linux kernel, allowing Ekiga to refresh the binding less often"
>
> Could you explain it other words or precise it ? Does it mean that
> NAT-traversal is more efficient in Ekiga than in gnomemeeting-1.2.x ?

Yes.

> If yes, in what domains ? If no, what do you mean by 'more reachable' ?

I won't explain the technical details, but basically:
- Ekiga tries to detect the type of NAT using STUN
- if your type of NAT is compatible with STUN (Linux, many hardware
routers), you will be reachable from the outside without any port
forwarding. Ekiga will create a hole in your router, and that hole will
be registered on the SIP registrar, and anybody calling you using your
sip address will be able to reach you.

In some cases, the NAT router is incompatible with STUN. In that case,
unfortunately, port forwarding is still required (or using a proxy).

> (I have been successfully using GM for the last year, but without being
> able to be called. In september, I moved to another room where the

That specific problem is solved using SIP over UDP and Ekiga.

(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:dsandras gnomemeeting net
                      sip:600000 gnomemeeting net