[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Common address book (Brian Thompson)

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:39:36 +0200
From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
Subject: [GnomeMeeting-list] Common address book
To: gnomemeeting-list gnome org

Hello,

I have had private e-mail exchanges with one person who thinks that
having a common address book shared by GNOME applications like Ekiga and
Evolution is a bad idea, and that it would be better to have a separate
address book for Ekiga and a separate one for Evolution.

He also thinks that I am not following the advice of my users and that I
impose my own view of the project without taking into account external
ideas. (The same rant about the new name was mentioned again).

So I would like to do a quick poll on the mailing list.
Please choose a), b) or c) :
a) I think that it is better to have a common address book for all
applications if possible
b) I think it is better that all applications have their own address
book, I don't want my contacts to be shared between the different
applications I am using
c) I do not care.

Thanks!
(o- //\ Ekiga Softphone: http://www.ekiga.org/
       SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras ekiga net
                        sip:600000 ekiga net

My vote is definitely for (a) as long as it doesn't require that those other applications actually be installed. I'm really looking forward to the Win32 port of Ekiga and I'm not sure what sorts of portability issues having a common addressbook brings up. On a related note, in my own opinion I see the personal addressbook as supplementary to a LDAP directory. The LDAP directory here where I work has over 140,000 contacts in it - all somehow related to the university (faculty, staff, students, alumni, contractors,...). But, the LDAP directory is read-only and populated centrally, so any of personal contacts that don't have a directory entry need to be stored locally one way or another. The search order
should also be such that the personal addressbook
gets searched first and the LDAP directory gets
searched second. That way irrelevant LDAP
entries can be overriden by adding entries to
the local addressbook. This also saves traffic
hits on the LDAP directory; in the event the
contact is first found locally a LDAP search
isn't necessary. My opinion applies not only to Ekiga but in general to any good communication app. I've
worked here for 14 years and found that a good
contact lookup design can sometimes be the only difference between an app being limited to use by technical people and being used by the computer illiterate. Mozilla/Thunderbird is a good example. The technical staff here install and configure it on most of the faculty PCs and then leave it for the faculty to use. Many users here wouldn't use it if populating the To: field was any harder than starting to type the person's name and seeing it autocomplete or seeing a selection list appear that gets shorter and shorter as more characters are typed.
-Brian