Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Common address book

Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had private e-mail exchanges with one person who thinks that
> having a common address book shared by GNOME applications like Ekiga and
> Evolution is a bad idea, and that it would be better to have a separate
> address book for Ekiga and a separate one for Evolution.
>
> He also thinks that I am not following the advice of my users and that I
> impose my own view of the project without taking into account external
> ideas. (The same rant about the new name was mentioned again).
>
> So I would like to do a quick poll on the mailing list.
>
> Please choose a), b) or c) :
> a) I think that it is better to have a common address book for all
> applications if possible
a)

As long as it is configurable, a) is the choice.

My usual objection on "desktop integrations" is that it needs too much
glue that translates to many configuration files (or GUIs - worse!) in
different subsystems. And not everybody has to run LDAP server and even
those who try to provide free LDAP service are swamped and down by the
many requests eventually ;-)

> b) I think it is better that all applications have their own address
> book, I don't want my contacts to be shared between the different
> applications I am using
> c) I do not care.

Kalin.

--