Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] video device fails to be detected

Joaquim Laureano a �it :
Recently I upgraded my system to Fedora Core 4, and am now unable to
make gnomemeeting detect the video device.  Sound is fine.  Here is
hardware and the error that I find in /var/log/messages.

Webcam: Quickcam 4000 pro

Error: Jun 19 09:49:31 netcomp1 kernel: pwc Failed to allocate
decompress table.

Hmmmm... pwc is there obviously... but why couldn't it allocate the decompress table?

I did some research and am under the impression that the kernel for this
release of Fedora, kernel-2.6.11-1.1369, is missing the required support
for my camera.  It seems that there is another version of the kernel
which will have the needed support.  Is this the case?  What else can I
do other than wait for a new kernel version?  Is it worth to try and
install pwcx?

pwcx may help... Notice that pwc has a troubled history... it was out of the kernel, then in then out, and last I heard of it it was partially out. It is indeed possible that it explains the issues.

Snark on #gnomemeeting