Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: GnomeMeeting Question/Suggestion

Damien Sandras wrote:
Hello,

Le dimanche 24 juillet 2005 à 12:55 -0700, Gantry York a écrit :

Is it possible to use GNOMEMeeting with the Skype infrastructure?

No it is not possible. Everything they are using is proprietary, and
encrypted.

I love Skype, but I hate their GUI.  Although they have a version for
Linux, I don't think they pay much attention to it.

Indeed.

GNOMEMeeting on the other hand is far better, but GNOMEMeeting has an
arrangement with DiamondCard which does not offer as good of rates or
service.

Indeed, the next release of GnomeMeeting will be able to support the SIP
protocol, there are many PC-To-Phone providers able to work with SIP.
Not only diamondcard.

Would you consider switching to Skype.  Skype would benefit in that they
would have a free, open-source interface that they would not have to
maintain, and you would gain exposure to many many more potential users.

I won't switch to Skype until their protocol is open. It would require
reverse-engineering, would be illegal and difficult to achieve.
Moreover, I don't know what they are doing with users data, so I
consider it as dangerous.

reverse-engineering is not illegal but yes difficult to achieve.

I saw a paper of someone that have analyzed the skype protocol.

I realize the CoDec they us is probably proprietary, but GNOMEMeeting
could be designed to take binary plugins.

It's just an idea.