Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Question regarding PC-to-Phone Calls

Hello,

If you want to make PC-To-Phone calls, you have basically 3 solutions :
1) Build your own gateway, connected to the landline, using for example
Asterisk. With that solution, you will pay the same rate than when you
are using your classical phone as you will be using your own line.

2) Build a PC-To-Phone account from a provider. You will then be able to
phone at cheaper rates as they have terminations in several countries
and it is thus cheaper to do international calls than when you are using
your own line. There are 2 providers (and perhaps more) known to work
with GnomeMeeting :
     a) MicroTelco: They support only G.723.1 as codec. That codec is
patented and doesn't exist on Linux. The only way to do calls using
G.723.1 using GnomeMeeting is thus to buy a Quicknet card. That will
permit you to use G.723.1 (which comes with the card) and to plug a
normal phone in the card and use it with GnomeMeeting.
     b) The GnomeMeeting 1.2 provider: They support G.711 and GSM as
codecs, you can do PC-To-Phone calls using only your soundcard and a
headset. You need GnomeMeeting 1.2, there is a special window to
register a PC-To-Phone account to this provider.

Hope it helps,