Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Setup question

Hello,

Le dimanche 06 février 2005 à 18:15 +0100, Rainer Dorsch a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a gnomemmeeting setup for my environment and just started
> with VOIP. I have in mind several options, but I am not sure, which one is
> the most promissing one to follow....and most likely there are much smarter
> and better ones.
>
> If this is the wrong list, please let me know, if you know a more appropriate
> one.

It should be the right list :)

> Here is my environment:
> I have an H323 gateway or proxy (Cisco proxy?) which is not under my control
> and where I can register one fixed IP address for my number. When I run
> gnomemeeting on my workstation and enter there under Edit/Preferences/H323
> Settings/Gateway/Proxy Settings everything works. Nothing else to setup, no
> authentication etc. I dial h323:<number> to call and receive calls when my
> number is dialed.

Great.

> When I am away from my workstation, I would like to call and receive calls on
> a laptop with dynamic DNS (running gnomemeeting). I have full control over the
> laptop. The workstation is still up and running, i.e. I can use it to forward
> or redirect calls.
>
> I am wondering, what you think about these options (or if you have better
> ones):
>
> 1) My assumption here is that ports 1718-1720 are used for the communication
> with the Cisco proxy (that is what I have seen with ohphone):
>
> Use my workstation to forward all openh323 communication from Cisco proxy to
> laptop and visa versa.
>
> Forward the ports 1719 and 1718 from the workstation to the laptop using an
> ssh tunnel:
>
> laptop$ ssh -A -R 1718:laptop:1718 -l rdorsch -N workstation
>
> Then I would need to forward all packets to port 1720 of the workstation to
> the Cisco proxy. Note that the workstation is not doing NAT for the laptop,
> so doing this might be not trivial.

I'm not sure, but isn't there a possible problem for RTP?

> 2) Setup gnu gatekeeper at my workstation as proxy and let it forward all
> calls to and from the cisco proxy. Can gnu gatekeeper do this? I saw that I
> can setup gnu gatekeeper as proxy, but can gnu gatekeeper use the Cisco proxy
> itself?

Yes, I think so. I'm not a GNU GK expert, but I think it can do that for
what I remember from its configuration.

> 3) Use call forwarding of gnomemeeting on my workstation to receive calls on
> my laptop. Not sure if that works and how I would forward calls from the
> laptop to the Cisco proxy.

Forwarding calls from the workstation to the laptop will be possible,
that's standard H.323 call forwarding. The reverse should also be
possible, but I don't know what the restrictions for the proxy will be.

> 4) I think X and/or KDE habe options to forward sound. I could experiment with
> these, but I think VOIP developed for a good reason their own codecs ;-)

Indeed.

> Any comments or hints are welcome.

I think I would go for the Gatekeeper option. That is the easiest. You
can forward incoming calls from the gateway to the workstation to your
laptop without a problem. But I'm not sure outgoing calls will work, the
gateway will most probably reject calls coming from your laptop, in that
case, you will have to proxy things from inside the LAN. GNU GK seems
the best way to do this.