[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: [Xmeeting-ohphonex] Free Software/Open Source Telephony-Summit in Germany

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 05:32:11 -0600
Alan Sill <Alan Sill ttu edu> wrote:

> Hi Craig and Damien,
>
> Was there ever a follow-up or wrapup session writeup, or conclusions
> from this conference?

Several of the speakers provided copies of their presentations, but
there was no formal publication produced. We intend to create such a
publication next year.

Links to my presentations can be found in my blog at:

    http://www.southeren.com/blog/archives/000104.html

> In testing the openh323-based/pwlib-based
> application ohphoneX (which is otherwise regarded as a blessing by this
> community), a study by a serious but friendly commercial MCU vendor
> (Codian) found the following defects, as listed below.

I commented on these issues briefly on the OpenH323 list, but this was
about the time the OpenH323 list server went offline and it appears that
post never made it to the list.

In essence, I agree that all of these observations are probably correct,
but I am not able to spend the time required to fix them. I imagine
Damien is in the same position.

> I'd like to know whether these problems are in the openh323 or pwlib
> layers, and thus common to GnomeMeeting, for example, or specific to
> the otherwise very nice ohphoneX implementation.

These issues are all probably in OpenH323

> Apologies to Mark Blake for quoting his e-mail without permission, but
> I think these are things that ought to be addressed by the ohphoneX/GM
> developers and user community and should not have to be worked around
> by vendors:

I'm uncomfortable with the language you are using here.

The phrase "ought to be addressed" seems to imply an imperative that is
inappplicable to an Open Source project consisting of volunteers who
donate their time and expertise.

We are driven by the need to "scratch" our personal itches, not to
ensure compatibility with commercial products from any vendor. I agree
it would be nice if these problems were fixed, but the reality is that
this will require someone with both the knowledge and motivation to do
so. So far, nobody has stepped forward.

It occurs to me that the vendors to whom you refer have both the
knowledge and the motivation. Perhaps they can use some of the revenue
obtained from interoperating with our Open Source software to fund the
developement of a solution to the problem they have discovered ? :)

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog