Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] netmeeting+speex+gnomemeeting-1.2.0

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:25:54AM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mercredi 02 février 2005 à 18:55 +0100, Konrad Karl a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running against a wall with netmeeting 3.01 on XP +
> > meetspeex <-> gnomemeeting-1.2.0 on Fedora FC3:
> >
> [...deleted...]
>
> Have you checked the FAQ on voxgratia.org? they have a short howto. I
> would say that Speex is not installed correctly on the netmeeting side.

I read several times over the FAQ's and also the instructions on the
speexw site (link from gnomemeeting.org's FAQ). It must be some obscure
detail - I tried netmeeting on Win2000 and XP and it is always the same:
NM receives speexw 8khz but refuses to use it on transmit. The most I
could get from NM  was MS-GSM but the sound was horrible
(background noise like 'grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' all the time besides the
usual GSM artifacts)

one detail: the codecs listed by meetspeex at bottom do
show up in netmeetings drop down codec list.

[....]

> > PPS: anybody tried getting a DV camcorder (ieee1394) to
> >      work with gnomemeeting?
>
> It is supposed to work :)

I confess I did not even try since the 1394 device does not show
up as a video4linux device. Did you mean 'work out of the box'?
(will give it a try this evening anyways :) Perhaps there is some
hack required (using the v4l loopback device)?

The NM/GM speex issue is puzzling me most at the moment - it
is difficult to get everybody using linux.

An additional question: (I am almost totally ignorant about SIP)

  is it possible to have two SIP devices communicate to each other
  w/o having to use such stuff like registrar etc (as it is possible
  now with NM/gnomemeeting by simply entering IP address to connect?
  (assuming they are on the same network, no NAT etc)

Regards,

Konrad