Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Can't hear other participant

Paulo Jorge Matos wrote:
On 07/12/05, Niall Parker <niall ve7hex ampr org> wrote:

Paulo Jorge Matos wrote:

Hi all,

This seems to be an intriguing case. The facts:
- Everything works with both in druid.
- Both use Gentoo Linux Gnome Meeting 1.00
- I'm behind router, she isn't. Router is not a problem. Have 1720
opened. Still removed router from the way and directly connected to
the internet I can't hear her.
- Both using alsa, blablabla but since druid works with both sure
isn't problem with sound I think.

Can't imagine what's the problem. She can hear me, I can't hear her.
Any ideas, crazy suggestions? I'm all ears!

What about the UDP ports for the RTP streams ? Is your firewall
open/ports redirected etc ? What does netstat say ?

Yes, I have open ports in router:
1720,
30000-30010
5000-5016
5020-5023

How can I query netstat about this?

Try netstat --inet --udp (or --tcp) and you'll see what connections are active (man nestat for lots more options). I've also used tcpdump to help track down problems, see the man page to help filter out the extraneous noise.

Check and double check the firewalls, I just spent a day fixing a connection where the other party insisted the firewall was open, but it turned out that while the rules to forward the traffic were written, they weren't enabled. Try a portscanner like nmap.

Also use divide and conquer ... check your connection with a known good endpoint and likewise for the other person you are trying to connect with.

Persist, you will figure it out eventually (and learn something in the process ;)

					... Niall