Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ideas..

"Indeed, and OpenH323 has support for H.263 through FFMPEG."

I'm a little confused. One of the main videoconf client I make calls to are DLink DVC-1000.

They only support H.263 for video's (not H.261 or H.264)

Yet everytime I call them I am unable to see their video, nor they are able to see my video because they're using H.263 and GnomeMeeting (via OpenH323 doesn't have H.263 - as far as I can see from OpenH323's page is that they only do H.261 and no higher for video?

If OpenH323 can encode H.263 then how can I setup GnomeMeeting so taht I can send H.263 video's? This is the bare minimum I need.

Thanks

JGJones

Y Ddraig Goch a ddyry Gychwyn
Cymru am byth

BSL Video-Group:

Deaf-UK Technology Wiki
http://bslvgroup.mrdini.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: 1) nerds and 2) normals.

Damien Sandras wrote:
Hi,

Well, ffmpeg is LGPL which means that you can link it as a library. Check out
ther legal pages http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/legal.php

Indeed, and OpenH323 has support for H.263 through FFMPEG.

Having compiled ffmpeg a while ago, I remember, that there is a "GPL" compile
option which means, that it disables all codecs which are non LGPL compatiple.
I wonder what's the case with H.263 (which would be a quantum leap to have it-
though it's not 264)

I also wonder how the Wengo guys and java sip-communicator folks solved their
legal problems concerning 263. (these are open source projects as well - some
GPL)

I wonder. In Europe, you are relatively safe. The best would be to have
support for video plugins, which means european could use the plugin and
americans would have to pay for it, or not use it at all.

Another idea, which would solve point 1 and 3 but not 2 above: use Theora.
Check this out: http://www.tipic.com/tipicim - it's an open source Video
Jabber messenger using Theora as video codec. Perhaps opal/Gnomemeeting could
benefit. This would do to video what Speex did for audio - a decent free
codec.

Greetings
Conrad

(o-
//     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
       SIP Phone   : sip:dsandras gnomemeeting net
                     sip:600000 gnomemeeting net