Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ideas..

The reason I asked about x264 was if you go to http://www.bslvrs.co.uk - you will see RNID SignTalk - which is a video based relay centre for sign language use in UK (there are currently 3 systems including that one).

However they all require the use of at minimum H.263 video codec (264 is better, 263 is accepted due to use of the DLink DVC-1000 videophone which use H.263 for video.

I sadly cannot use GnomeMeeting since the H.261 does not provide a good enough video for the interpreter to understand me during a relay session. Currently I am using the vPoint HD client from vcon - which is a Windows only application using H.264 video...just when I get my camera fixed so that I can use GnomeMeeting I once again find I still have to reboot to Windows...gahh! :)

I shall email x264 developers themselves and ask pretty please then since I really do not want to keep on rebooting to Windows just for video calls (or the expense of getting another computer! I'm saving for a Powerbook atm for my wife)

Having dabbled in the video relay market - I was invloved in the building of one call centre using Cisco Call Manager - I know that this is a potentially huge market - there is a vast number of users in USA already, and while the UK's project is first for Europe as far as I know, but the company whom I worked for using Cisco Call Manager have plans to expand their service by setting up same thing across Europe.

This will potentially have access to hundred of thousands if not million of sign language users across Europe. I believe that with those people making heavy use of video calls - which will then do the same to their hearing friends...those hearing people (ie not deaf) might then appericate using video phone...it's possible that use of videophone will increase there as well...although that's an unknown!

Thus for me, it's too important to not ignore this video call issues :)

Cheers

JGJones

Y Ddraig Goch a ddyry Gychwyn
Cymru am byth

BSL Video-Group:

Deaf-UK Technology Wiki
http://bslvgroup.mrdini.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: 1) nerds and 2) normals.

Craig Southeren wrote:
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:42:16 +0200