Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ideas..

Damien Sandras wrote:
Le mercredi 07 décembre 2005 à 00:07 +0000, JGJones a écrit :

Since I use GnomeMeeting primarily for videocalls...it's main weakness as you probably know is the fact that OpenH323 only use the H261 encoder.

Obviously it'll be lovely if they had a H264 encoder. Alas, we don't.

I was wondernig since I came across the x264 project here - http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html

I release that it's still very much in very early days but for future use, should it improve, is there any arguement against using x264? Such as patents? They're reverse-engineering the encoder so that would make it legal doesn't it?

Patents are not on the code, they are on the technics, so it is
certainly not legal, at least in the US. In Europe, it is still a bit
"vague".

However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
"linked" in memory.

Btw why is opal/openh32 MPL?

Seen this:
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

Cheers Johnny

x264 should add an exception clause for OpenH323/OPAL in their license.