Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ideas..

Le mercredi 07 décembre 2005 à 11:42 +0200, Johnny Strom a écrit :
> Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Le mercredi 07 décembre 2005 à 00:07 +0000, JGJones a écrit :
> >
> >>Since I use GnomeMeeting primarily for videocalls...it's main weakness
> >>as you probably know is the fact that OpenH323 only use the H261 encoder.
> >>
> >>Obviously it'll be lovely if they had a H264 encoder. Alas, we don't.
> >>
> >>I was wondernig since I came across the x264 project here -
> >>http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html
> >>
> >>I release that it's still very much in very early days but for future
> >>use, should it improve, is there any arguement against using x264? Such
> >>as patents? They're reverse-engineering the encoder so that would make
> >>it legal doesn't it?
> >>

> > Patents are not on the code, they are on the technics, so it is
> > certainly not legal, at least in the US. In Europe, it is still a bit
> > "vague".
> >
> > However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
> > are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
> > won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
> > "linked" in memory.
>
> Btw why is opal/openh32 MPL?
>
> Seen this:
> http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

For historical reasons I think. However, the license can not be changed
anymore, because it would mean to contact all contributors.
(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:dsandras gnomemeeting net
                      sip:600000 gnomemeeting net