Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Interest for GM 2.00

I have some doubts about the future of the project. I know that it is a
recurrent subject with me since I started it back in 2000...
Let me give you a few words of encouragement as a humble user who has been
trying to get something working reliably between Windows and Linux for months
by offering a few comments of the following.

Same here.  GM just works, and is a great application.

1) A majority of users want simple audio/video chat. Kopete recently
started allowing this with Yahoo and MSN, and GAIM is on the road to
offer it too. Projects like Telepathy/Farsight will offer a
GStreamer-based alternative to GAIM and Kopete.

There are also those of us, I can't be the only one, that use GM with other VOIP
services.  Where I work has a network of 15 Nortel BCM VOIP phone systems;  GM
works just fine in this environment, I can call into the VOIP PBXs without any
problems.  One of those 'other' packages is never going to do that.

4) Finally, on the corporate side, where there are less users at least
on GNU/Linux, you have big companies offering solutions like XTEN,
developed full-time by talented developers, even though being
proprietary. But corportate users often do not care about the Open
Source aspect of things, and big corporations are already offering their
own softphone working with their IPBX.

Yes they do, but usually for rather shocking license fees. GM installed when I installed my LINUX distro, I can wander around the corporate campus (wireless),
and make calls from my laptop.

GnomeMeeting is playing in those 4 fields, but there are now so many
alternatives, that I wonder if there is still an interest to develop
GnomeMeeting after 2.00 will have been released. Two years ago, you had
to use GnomeMeeting if you wanted to do 1), 2), or 4). Currently, there
are so many alternatives that GnomeMeeting is perhaps unuseful.

GM is premier in my book, there are other VOIP apps, but the little I've tried
them indicates that they stink in comparison to GM.