Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Ideas for a new GUI

On Sunday 17 April 2005 20.46, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hello to all,
>

> The recent poll has showed that Jabber support is not really a popular
> choice, at least for 2.00, and that we should concentrate first on what
> we are doing best: as softphone. If Jabber support comes, it will be
> through integration with 3rd party software like GAIM or GOSSIP and
> Julien has been doing a great job on this.
>
> However, most people want a more modern GUI.
>
> I will separate the text chat part from the main GUI, because it will be
> possible to send text messages even to people with who you are not in
> audio/video calls, thanks to SIP. It will also permit to have a
> resizable window for it, which is more convenient.
>
> The rest of the GUI needs to contain at least:
> - a part to display the video
> - a dialpad
> - a statistics window
> - sliders to adjust the audio / video settings
>
> I had the idea to do something like Skype : everything in tabs. But that
> is not very convenient. For example, imagine that you have a video
> answering machine, and want to consult your video&voicemails. You will
> need access to the dialpad (to navigate through the menus and mails),
> and to the video (to watch the messages). Skype-like UI's do not allow
> that, and having to switch between tabs is ... boring.
>
> On the other side, having the big GnomeMeeting logo displayed all the
> time, even when there is no call, or when it is a voice-only call means
> wasted space.
>
> We have thus 3 possibilities :
> 1) display video when required, in a separate window. Keep the dialpad
> in the main window.
> 2) display video when required, but keep it in the main window, next to
> OR above the dialpad (very similar to what we have now, except that the
> video part wouldn't always be shown).
> 3) always display the video window. Display the dialpad in a separate
> window.
>
> Any other ideas? What would you, dear GnomeMeeting user, prefer?
>
> Thanks,

Dockable menues/windows as in newer versions of GIMP?
So one is able to customize the layout to what you need/want to have...

--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
		-R. Stallman

Rikard Johnels          email   : rikjoh norweb se
                        Web     : http://www.rikjoh.com/users/rikjoh
                        Mob     : +46 735 05 51 01
                        PGP     : 0x461CEE56