Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM without forwarding any port

I'm very interested in using GnomeMeeting to make videoconference.
However, my Internet connection is behind a Router/Firewall. I have no
access to it, as it is the network of my students' house, administered
by people who probably won't accept to forward ports to my machine
only...  The Gnomemeeting wizard says it is a symetric NAT.

If you can install the gatekeeper on a public IP address, it will work,
but that is unfortunately the only solution I know.

Ok, that's already a good point. I've heard of a machine on the network that is reserved for students and currently used as an ftp server, with a public IP adress. If there are other people interested in using videoconference, it might be possible to install gatekeeper on it.

Notice that if you are calling a GnomeMeeting 1.2.x user
* who is behind NAT, but configured (symmetric NAT with port forwarding
and STUN, or other type of NAT without port forwarding and STUN only),
or
* who has a public IP,
it will work because the remote GnomeMeeting will detect you are NATted
and it will transparently fool your NAT router.

That will only work if the remote user you are calling is using
GnomeMeeting 1.2. It won't work if he is using GnomeMeeting 1.0 or
earlier, or if he is using Netmeeting. He can be behind NAT, but
configured appropriately.

The problem will only happen when calling another user in the same case
as you (ie unconfigured symmetric NAT).

Great !
The people I wish to call are at home, behind a NAT that I can configure. So, I just have to set it up, and it will work...
Can you confirm that both sides will be able to call the other ?

Thanks again.

Timothée Lecomte