Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gatekeeper rejecting calls due to excessive bandwidth request

On Apr 3, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Damien Sandras wrote:

When I turn on debug I always see a request of "bandWidth =
100000". This is unchanged regardless of whether I reduce the bandwith
in preferences (Video Codecs) or even if video transmission is disabled.
Is this expected and is there any way to get the system to request a
smaller bandwidth?

Indeed, GnomeMeeting doesn't permit to change the bandwidth requested to
the gatekeeper, it is using the default value of openh323 which is 100
000.

You can change that by adding "SetInitialBandwidth (your_value)" in the
Init method of the class defined in endpoint.cpp, in GnomeMeeting and
recompile.

Hmm. This does not seem reasonable to me. Why have a setting for maximum bandwidth if that is not going to be communicated to the gatekeeper?

At the minimum, let me suggest that there be a checkbox in the preferences that says "use on registration" that would allow the user to specify whether the max bandwidth request should be communicated to the gatekeeper on registration. This explains why we are able to use GM with the above system, but ONLY if we do not register with the gatekeeper and instead specify things in the call-to string (h323:xxxx@(gatekeper_ip_address) for example).

Can we make this a feature request?

Thanks,
Alan