Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Non-standard cam support

Damien Sandras wrote:

Le vendredi 10 septembre 2004 à 20:33 +0000, phogg patmedia net a
écrit :
Hi.

I have been using a phillips-based cam with gnomemeeting. I recently picked up a D-Link DCS-900
ethernet cam as a security cam.

While I like the phillips-based cam, I was wondering if there was any consideration for extending gnomemeeting to support ethernet-based cams. I could not find anything on this subject on the
web page, or by scanning the past 3 months of the mailing-list archives.

The question is : is that camera supported by the Linux kernel or not?
If the camera is supported, then it will work with GnomeMeeting. If it
is not supported, then it won't work and a driver needs to be written by
the kernel maintainers, not by us :)

The camera is it's own network device, with a web server and an IP address. That's what makes it non-standard. :) The access method is either http or udp. The web client that gets used by the client system is Java-based. One wouldn't need a 'driver' to access the cam, just an http-based
client interface that would process the video stream.

To access the cam, one opens a browser, enters the IP and is authorized by name/passwd. At that point, one has a static photo, and clicks on a button on the web page to begin streaming. Theoretically, the cam can be accessed from any client system, anywhere, although, in my case, it's being accessed
across my internal network.

This may not be a practical matter; the bandwidth requrements are high.. I was just curious whether anyone had looked at using network-based imaging solutions with gnomemeeting.

Thanks,

John

I must admit, I haven't researched whether the java-applet provided by the D-Link cam is anywhere near a standard, it would seem to me that allowing for plug-ins for browser-based cams might extend the range of cams that gnomemeeting would support. And, with the proliferation of home networks, there might be a bunch of folks who would like to just plug in an ethernet cam and
not have to deal with usb support issues.

I could be wrong, of course, but I thought I'd toss this one out for consideration.

Regards,

John