Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] PWC driver story continues.

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, PUYDT Julien wrote:

What's wrong is that this code in GPL code was there specifically to
load a non-GPL driver. That isn't correct with respect to the GPL, so
they decided to remove that hook. Notice that the kernel still has hooks
to load modules. But those hooks are generic hooks: they are used by GPL
drivers, and non-GPL drivers. And that is the important distinction: in
one case the kernel was doing something special for a non-GPL driver,
while in the other one, it is providing a service for anyone to use.

As mentioned on the LKML, we need some kind of framework specifically for video and perhaps audio, that allows plugging (de)compression, conversion, filter and other libraries. That would have solved this and many similar problems (at least, so I've heard. ;) ).

[...]
Notice too that non-open drivers make debugging problems much much more
difficult (hence the notion of 'tainted' kernel).

It is not questioned that we all would want the driver to be fully open, if in any way, we could get it so. :)

[...]