Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] PWC driver story continues.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Johnny Strom wrote:

Hi

Well this i becouse how FreeBSD is licensed, I prefer gpl/lgpl kind of
license becouse then one knows that the software will be around in the future.

Or, in the case of many drivers, no software at all.

The way I see it, the GPL is an utopia. It's definitely worth fighting for, but in the mean while, I would like to use my webcam. Life goes on, I'm not going to hold my breath for all companies to open up all of their drivers and specifics before I fulfill the main goal of using my webcam to talk to people.

Sometimes, the goal is to improve the world, and do things the hard way, sticking to what you believe in. Using my webcam is not one of those things; you can't fight all battles. It's software; not a religion. I don't like religion.

The GPL is extremist, because it allows no middle way or respects no other license. And while that is good for some things, I believe it's also very unproductive and unflexible for others, such as allowing companies to slowly open up more of their drivers. Nobody wants to hear "the code or fuck off". That attitude makes the GPL even more just an utopia.

And I don't need to tell you that we (as in the Linux users) *need* drivers; without pwc, for example, the support for 'available' webcams in Linux would be practically nill.

Nothing is _always_ the answer. Unless you are a good mathematician. :)