regard appears to me much more balanced :

From:   http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html

FreeBSD:
The FreeBSD bootloader can load binary drivers at boot-time. This allows
third-party driver manufacturers to distribute binary-only driver modules
that can be loaded into any FreeBSD system. Due to the open-source nature of
FreeBSD, it is very easy to develop device drivers for new hardware.
Unfortunately, most device-manufacturers will only release binaries for
Microsoft operating systems. This means that it can take several months after
a hardware device has hit the market until a device driver is available.
Linux:
The Linux community intentionally makes it difficult for hardware
manufacturers to release binary-only drivers. This is meant to encourage
hardware manufactureres to develop open-source device drivers. Unfortunately
most vendors have been unwilling to release the source for their drivers so
it is very difficult for Linux users to use vendor supplied drivers at all.
 Windows:
 Microsoft has excellent relationships with hardware vendors. There are often
conflicts when using a device driver on different versions of Microsoft
Windows, but overall Windows users have excellent access to third party
device drivers

Sorry for being a bit off-topic and I don't mean to start any flames, but I
thought this brings some perspective to the issues that were discussed
earlier in this forum.

George