Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Open discussion about ILS/SIP/FWD

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 06:25, Damien Sandras wrote:

> However, I planned to deprecate that system by GnomeMeeting 1.2 and to
> replace it by a gatekeeper/LDAP system where users would sign up for an
> account, register to the gatekeeper with their account info and be
> published on ldap.seconix.com.

I betcha quite a few people are waiting for SIP support in GnomeMeeting
to use it with Asterisk:

http://www.asterisk.org/

In addition to being a SIP proxy, it is also a full-blown PBX that can
interface VoIP with PSTN.

There are already quite a few SIP soft- and hard-clients (either
audio-only or audio-video) that work very well with Asterisk.
There is some H.323 support in Asterisk, but it's rather sketchy. No one
seems genuinely interested in H.323 anymore these days.

But to get back to the issue you mentioned:
I have a feeling that many people will simply be interested in a
full-featured SIP client, rather than in a SIP software that comes with
some kind of LDAP registry. A solid SIP foundation should be the main
focus, the rest is secondary.

> Notice they also provide an outbound proxy for audio-only allowing
> people with symmetric NAT (linux) to transparently go through their
> firewalls.

While there are NAT workarounds for H.323 and SIP, the NAT issue is
solved in an elegant fashion by IAX, the protocol developed with
Asterisk:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX+versus+SIP

But of course, the focus should be first on SIP, since that's what the
majority looks after. If IAX will be added to GnomeMeeting (and that's a
big IF), it should be a later addition.

> My question is simple, what do my users want ?
> 1) H.323 or SIP or both or I don't care

Well, H.323 is the "dying protocol" and SIP is the "emerging standard",
so...

Oh well, buzzwords... <shrug>

--
Florin Andrei