[GnomeMeeting-list] W32 portage

Hi all,

summarize of the work done/todo to get GM running on Windows. Our goal is to compile pwlib, openh323 and GM (please correct if I'm wrong).

Work started with _pwlib_ (cvs from last week). How we made it:

1. cygwin: we give up (general opinion)

2. vcbuild: we can't use it as it requires the VCProjectUI dll's from MSVC

3. MinGW32: can be used native Windows (with MSYS) or cross-compile. Debian has packages and I adapt scripts cross-compile.sh and cross-make.sh according to Debian packages. Those scripts where taken from http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/cross/README.txt (thanksKilian) You can also use their installation script, I test it too and is working well. I got the MinGW environment after around 20mn of download and compiling. Packets are download ready on the website.

Windows: installed on my Windows box and compile pass.
Cross compile: installed on my laptop and compile pass.

Problem: the same under both OSes:
[...]
configure: WARNING: This host does not support semaphores which are essential
configure: WARNING: to implement 'critical sections'. This feature was added
configure: WARNING: in PWLib 1.7.0 and improves the stability of multithreaded
configure: WARNING: programs. This feature has been disabled for this host
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... no
checking for pthread_create in -lc_r... no
configure: error: must have pthreads!
dh nomade:/usr/local/src/mingw32/pwlib$

4. MSVC: not tested having no licence.

Our needs now:

. Xavier has to finish to package the latest snapshots
. Everyone who could help us to debug the MinGW32 compilation (currently the pthreads issue for pwlib) is welcome. I believe this is the good way to work on the portage. . *If* MinGW32 compile issue can't be solved, please help Damien to find sponsor(s) to get a valid MSVC license.

Remember that compiling under MSVC environment will force users who wanted to compile themselves to have this license too.

Keep in mind that faster we go now, faster we will have a test version. I'm sure they are lot's of people around to help us to debug our MinGW compilation and that we will then have a stable environment for compilation. And to be able to cross-compile will not be the latest advantage that we would have :-)

_Taking our time to work on this will ensure Damien to focus on OPAL and SIP_

Thanks for your help, your comments or any ideas to shortly be able to have our Windows GM version ready.

--
Daniel