Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re:Name Change?

On Sunday 23 May 2004 20:22, David C. Days wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 12:00, gnomemeeting-list-request gnome org
> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > >Now, I'm more and more worried about GnomeMeeting's name because :
> <snip>
>
> How about "OpenMeeting"?  I know "Open-anything" is kind of a
> buzzword, but it would go a ways towards disassociating it from Gnome
> and stressing the opensource nature...
>
> Example:  "OpenMeeting-- The network conferencing tool compatible
> with multiple  H.323 clients**"  and then list some compatible
> clients--position in list could be determined by popularity of that
> other client.

Outside of geeks, who has heard of H323?  I'd steer clear of that.
Geeks can read tech descriptions - they just frighten others away.

> **Statement not evaluated by the FCC or my lawyer--don't sue!  :-)
>
> (Of course, "buzzy-ness" leads to other possibilities:
> 	--Open*Meeting  (* for any meeting product...the geeks would get
> it...) --StarMeeting (same thing for the non-geeks...), but Sun might
> have a cow...

Open*Meeting - it wouldn't matter if non-geeks partially missed the
point - a good possible name, I think.

> 	--Open Source H.323 Interclient Teleconferencing System...never
> mind, the acronym doesn't work out...)

Don't like this - reason as above.

> 	--NetCAVV--Network Conferencing and Video/Voice System..

Possible

> 	--ODIN Conferencing -- OpenSource Data-Interchange Network
> Conferencing  (yeah, it's big on the Norse mythology, but people seem
> to like that...)

I'd drop the Conferencing in the name - just keep it in the description,
so that the name would just be ODIN.  Overall, I think that would have
the most popular appeal.

> 	Just a few ideas off the top of my head...)

Some pretty good ideas, I think

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302