Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Compatibility with Netmeeting

Hello,

Le mer, 19/05/2004 à 15:56 +0200, Lukas Ruf a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> the FAQ reads that gnomemeeting is compatible with netmeeting.
> However, our local tests show very bad sound quality.  The problem, I
> thought of, would be the missing G.723 CODEC of gnomemeeting.
>
> Thus my questions:
> - is this observation true?

You can also use G.711 which gives very good sound quality at the cost
of a big bandwidth.

Another solution is to use MS-GSM (codec unlocker provided on
www.gnomemeeting.org) in Netmeeting.

Actually, the problem is certainly the fact that Netmeeting doesn't
natively support GSM 06.10, Speex, iLBC or any other free codec
supported by GnomeMeeting.

Having a bad sound quality is a bit weird on a LAN, it sometimes happens
with MS-GSM.

> - can I get this codec only if I buy a quicknet card?

Yes, that codec is patented, doesn't exist on Linux in a software form,
and is very expensive.

>   Can I rely on this card that it will work when I plug a PCMCIA card
>   into my Linux based laptop?

Yes, but you will have to fight with the installation, I know no
distribution able to detect and autoconfigure it.

> Btw, I cannot search the archive because of a misconfiguration:

I think they are working on it.