Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Finally! Working gnomemeeting and Gatekeeper!

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 00:02:17 +0000 (GMT)
Chris Rankin <rankincj yahoo com> wrote:

>  --- Craig Southeren <craigs postincrement com> wrote:
> > Yes, this flag will prevent any code that
> > contains dynamic casts from being linked, which is
> > not a problem as none of the code for GM, PWlib or
> > OpenH323 contains dynamic casts.
>
> No, you mean it's not a problem for GM. My point is
> that GM isn't the exclusive user of Pwlib or OpenH323.

As one of the authors of OpenH323 and PWLib, and as someone who has been
using this code for over 10 years, I think I am quite aware of what
projects they are used for.

Given that your message was posted on the GM list, I assumed you were
talking in the context of GM. I had no way of knowing otherwise, until
you pointed this out.

..deleted

> Please don't tell me that it doesn't make sense to run
> the GNU Gatekeeper on the same machine as GM unless
> you can guarantee that these are the *only* two
> pwlib-based applications in existence, making this the
> only situation where this problem could arise.

The only thing I was thinking of telling you is that your
confrontational approach is not conducive to elciting an answer. But I
am sure you will learn that eventually anyway.

Reading between the lines, I can see now what your actual problem is.
You want to run GnuGk and GM on the same machine, but incompatibilities
in the way the PWlib and OpenH323 are compiled for these two programs
will prevent the same shared libraries being used for both programs.

This is a legitimate problem and one that will be addressed in the
future.

..deleted

> Umm, isn't dynamic_cast<> part of the ANSI C++
> standard? Sounds pretty portable to me. Why reinvent
> the wheel?

Yes, I fully realise that dynamic casting is part of the ANSI C++
standard. Your assumption is that every C++ compiler complies to the
standard, and always has. We've been using PWLib on various platforms
since 1991, before ANSI C++ was even invented.

..deleted

> My take on this is that if GM wants to use -fno-rtti
> then that's fine. But by placing this flag in the
> build options for Pwlib then you have forced it upon
> all Pwlib applications. This *has* broken the GNU
> Gatekeeper at the very least, and possibly other
> Pwlib-based applications too. I think it makes more
> sense for Pwlib and OpenH323 to leave the RTTI
> available for applications that do want to use it.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

    Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/