Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] OSS setup for GM 1.0.2

Le lun, 21/06/2004 à 07:32 -0400, AG a écrit :
> I finally solved all of the dependency issues for GM, now I'm setting up
> the audio. I'm running Slack 9.1(2.6.4), and I do have ALSA configured.
>
> I use the Soundblaster PCI 128bit (Ensoniq 1371). Damien's favorite
> card :)
>
> Only problem is that I've never solved some device issues associated with
> ALSA. So I use KDE and arts. The KDE sound system I/O method is Threaded
> OSS using custom sound device /dev/dsp0.
>
> Sounds works fine w/all of my applications (MPlayer, Xmms, GAIM, etc.).
> System sounds work well too.  I'd rather not change this setup.
>
> I understand that ALSA is preferred for GM, but I'd rather use OSS, as the
> DRUID allows me to use /dev/dsp0 and /dev/dsp1.

One day or another you will be forced to change to ALSA, OSS is now
deprecated (but still present) in the 2.6 kernels.

> Questions:
>
> 1) Which device should be used for input and output ?

The one from which you want to record. Intuitively, I would think /dev/
dsp0 is your soundcard and /dev/dsp1 the internal microphone of your
webcam. If you don't have a webcam with an internal microphone, then I
don't understand why you have /dev/dsp1.

> 2) Why aren't /dev/dsp2 and /dev/dsp3 available for use ?

What would they be if they existed? Do you have 3 sound devices?

> 3) Why does the DRUID lockup when I chose /dev/dsp0 for output and /dev/
> dsp1 for input ?

Probably because of a bug, either in GM, or in the OSS PWLib plugin or
with OSS itself. Try to get a backtrace :
gdb gnomemeeting
run
reproduce the lockup
Ctrl-C
thread apply all bt

and mail the output here.

> I ran 'lsof /dev/dsp1' and notices that GM had ~8 instances using /dev/
> dsp1. Is this normal ?

Probably yes, that's the number of threads.