Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] audio + webcam = "No usable audio devices ..."

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:47:12 +0200
PUYDT Julien <jpuydt free fr> wrote:

> Le mar, 13/07/2004 à 09:37 +1000, Craig Southeren a écrit :
> > Fortunately, that's not needed. It's easy to use one of the commercial
> > search engines to add a free search capabilty to ant web site.
>
> It's not about the web site ; it's about the mailing list archives.
> Mail.gnome.org has a broken search since months if not years, and it is
> needed...

OK

> > For example, Google allows you use the "site:" meta sequence to restrict
> > searching to a specific web site. See http://www.google.com.au/help/features.html#sitesearch
> > for more information.
> >
> > So, to look for NAT topics on the GnomeMeeting site, you would use the
> > following search string:
> >
> > 	site:www.gnomemeeting.org nat
> >
> > I've just tried this and it works great
>
> I've just tried "site:www.gnomemeeting.org qcset", and it found nothing,
> while a search on it in my "Gnomemeeting" mailbox found the precise
> command I had in mind: qcset compat=dblbuf.

If you think about that for a few seconds, you will probably realisese
that is because the mail archives are not on www.gnomemeeting.org, but
are actually rooted at mail.gnome.org.

Using "site:mail.gnome.org qcset compat=dblbuf" returned lots of matches
in the GnomeMeeting mailins lists.

> People can't search the ml archives for information before asking ; that
> means that even with people who know how to ask, will ask the same
> question that was answered last week, the previous week, and...

You need to tell me this?

The OpenH323 FAQ contains very specific answers to very specific
questions, it is referenced hundreds of times in the mailing list, and
in all of the the documentation. As if that is not enough, a copy of it
is posted at least every two weeks to the mailing list, but still people
ask stupid questions that are almost word for word in the FAQ.

Even so, you can guarantee that if the mailing list search is not
working, then people can't use it.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com      ICQ: #86852844
 Jabber: CraigS jabber voxgratia org   Blog: http://www.southeren.com/blog
 PGP :http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt