Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Partial success!

Hi Anne,

Am So, den 29.02.2004 schrieb Anne Wilson um 22:03:

> Finally my friend got his NetMeeting running and registered to
> ils.seconix.com, but we have met some oddities.
>
> First, it seems that he was able to contact me, but I couldn't contact
> him - I was expecting it to be the other way round?  It isn't
> important, really, but it's good to understand what's going on.

Well, off hand, if you can't call him, his TCP 1720 is firewalled or he
would see your incoming call on the accept/deny dialog.

> We are still having firewall problems.  He had set ZoneAlarm to allow
> NetMeeting full access, and I have the following lines in Shorewall:
>
> #For GnomeMeeting, next 4 lines
> #	GM listen port
> ACCEPT net	fw	tcp 	1720
> #	Needed unless both clients are using H.245 tunneling (NM can't)
> ACCEPT	net	fw	tcp	30000:30010
> #	For RTP and RTCP channels, audio and video transmission/reception
> ACCEPT	net	fw	udp	5000:5003
> #	Needed for use with a gatekeeper
> #ACCEPT	net	fw	upd	5010:5013
>
> but we still could not make contact.  Finally he stopped ZA and I
> stopped shorewall, and the call went through.  Is there something
> wrong with my rules in Shorewall?  Have I missed something?

looks ok for your part. make sure on the shorewall no h323 kernel helper
module is loaded and that your GM is set to IP translation active.

> Then, for a minute or so we both had audio and video, then my remote
> picture froze.  He said that he was still receiving from me, and the
> audio was fine - much better for me than when I tried NetMeeting last
> year - but I only had a still picture of him.  His screen was still
> showing moving pictures.
>
> Any pointers as the what is wrong, please?

without further details, i'd expect some net congestion happening. What
RTT times do you have and what's your jitter buffer size? (which are the
bandwidth and how much "free space" should be left in the line?)

--
Best regards,
 Kilian