Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Unexpected behavior between GM and RadVision MCU after MCU upgrade

> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:22:08 +1100
> From: Craig Southeren <craigs postincrement com>
>
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:35:13 -0800
> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman es net> wrote:
>
> > We recently upgraded our MCU from a V2 unit to a V3 unit. We primarily
> > use two clients, Polycom ViaVideo and GM (0.98.5). When connected to the
> > old MCU with either, a 2x2 display of the other participants in the call
> > (or the last 4 to generate audio if more than 4 were present) are
> > displayed.
> >
> > With the new (Version 3) MCU, there is no change for the ViaVideo
> > clients, but GM now displays only a single participant, the last to have
> > audio.
> >
> > Is this an OpenH323 issue or GM and does anyone have enough knowledge of
> > the workings of H.323 to know if there is an option that can be used to
> > get the old behavior back?
>
> This sounds like a change of behavour with the new MCU version that has
> nothing to do with GM. There are three reasons why I think this would be
> the case:
>
> 1) You changed the MCU, and the behaviour changed. GM did not change. So
> why do you think this is a GM problem?

I don't think it's a GnomeMeeting problem, but ViaVideo works the same
as before while GnomeMeeting does not. So there is something in GM that
is interacting with the new MCU differently from other clients (or at
least, ViaVideo).

> 2) The endpoint has no control over the video being sent to it - it can
> only display what the MCU sends.

Clearly this is not the case as ViaVideo does display a screen with four
images in a 2x2 array while GM only displays a single image the size of
one quadrant in previous version.

> 3) The new behaviour (video following the current speaker) sounds like a
> plausible mode for an MCU to use. I suspect there is a mode somewhere in
> the MCU that switches between this new behaviour and the old behaviour.

I agree. But it is clearly controlled by the client. I suspect it is an
option that is negotiated differently by Via Video than by GM. It may
even be configurable on the MCU. I'm just trying to figure out where to
look. (Yes, I am also talking the MCU support people.)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)