[GnomeMeeting-list] To attention of Damien Sandras: offers for GM's wishlist...

We use GM since november 2003 as main office intercomunication
tool (instead of "traditional" office phonestation). It's about
10 most active users with very different qualification: the
highest is sysadmin, but not a programmer (it's I), the lowest
is girl on reception, her qualification is so low that she have
troubles with sending-receiving emails :-/ (but she succesfully
used GM).

Each of our GM users make about 10-30 videoconferences per day.

So, after 4 month of daily practice with GM, I want to ask you
to add some features to Gnomemeeting. That features are
necessary for using GM in such manner as we do it (i.e. as
office intercom), but I think that they can me usable in other
cases too.

1. "Fast-call" panel.

The necessarity of this feature became evident when user every
day make many calls to the same recipients (for example, the
secretary in reception inform boss about visitor, or boss calls
his subordinates, etc.). Addressbook's usage is too slow for
this aims.
So, it needs some panel that contain buttons, that establish
connection by single click. This buttons must be associated
with addressbook's records; on the surface of button must be
the recipient's name from addressbook.
Of course, it's not need automatically associate all
addressbook's records with "fast-call" buttons. GM's user can
do it manually, and only for most frequently-used recipients.

2. Hotkeys.

It will be greate if it will be a feature for accociating
fast-call buttons will hotkeys. In this case, the handiness of
GM's usage as office intercome will be equal with the handiness
of traditional office phone-devices with "fast-call" buttons.

In addition, it will be good if it will be a hotkey for
activating main GM's window in situations, when GM sits in tray
only...

3. Size tunability of popup windows

We tune our GMs in such manner that remote video appeared not in
the main GM's window, but in new windows. We do it because that
windows appeared on the decktop that is active in moment when
call begins.
But in our GM 0.98.5 that popup windows are small even if large
size of video setted in main GM's settings. On our mind, it
must be size tunability for both types of popup windows (i.e.
remote and local video).

In addition, it will be good if recirient's name will be
displayed in popup windows in such manner as it done in main
GM's window.

4. Microphone muting/unmuting.

Now, when GM sits in tray and wait calls, microphone isn't
muted. It caused problems with noises in speakers...
Of course, microphone can be muted/unmuted manually by mixer...
But it's not a comfortable way if you have 10-30
videoconfereces per day...

So, it must be pair of user-selected feature in GM's settings:
"automatically mute microphone when call ended" and
"automatically unmute microphone when call begins".

5. Simultaneous calls

On our practice, it's often needs not "full" videoconference
(i.e. when 3 or more peoples communicates all together)... It's
will better to illustrate by example: boss call me, we speak,
but in this moment some visitor come to reception and secretary
call boss to report about this visitor... I don't need to see
secretary's face, and hear her woice, and she don't need to see
my face and hear my words addressed to boss only... But boss in
this situation needs to see both our faces and hear both our
voices...

6. Conference encryption

This is the last wish to wishlist. Of course, the encrypting of
videocoferencing can be provided via soft like IPsec, Freeswan
etc. (i.e. by making virtual private network), but it isn't the
best way. It's lockstep, in this case encryption will be
avaliable only for members of this VPN.

So, we think, that encryption's usage in videoconferencing must
be such easy and flexible, as it is in e-mailing now. If you
and I both want communicate via encrypted e-mails, we can do it
very easy, without any VPN, isn't it?

In another words, as minimum in case of two-sided
videoconference (i.e. 2 peoples speaks) the correspondents must
have possibility of encryption's switching-on by
"one-button-click" (i.e. button "Encryption" in main GM's
window). I think, this isn't very difficult to built into GM
something like ssh-like connection between 2 computers.
Cryptographical algorithms is in linux kernel now...

This is all for this moment. We will glad if at least some of
our wiches will be included in you TODO.

And I hope that my bad English doesn't prevent understanding of
our offer's essence.

Best regards, and good luck!

George