Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Questions regarding upcoming sip support.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:56:30 +0100
Bruno Hertz <brrhtz yahoo de> wrote:

> OK, it may be a little bit early to ask this, but I'm currently
> setting up asterisk for home use, especially PTOS VoIP integration,
> and I'm still not sure what my favourite VoIP client resp. protocol
> should be.
>
> Well, not exactly, since gnomemeeting is the first option on linux,
> but trouble is that asterisk's h323 support seems to be just not
> that great compared to sip, e.g. regarding video, so I'm actually
> looking for sip clients right now.

At the risk of seeming impolite, the problems that Asterisk has with
H.323 say far more about Asterisk than it does about OpenH323.

> In that context, I have a couple of questions regarding gm sip support
> which you might or might not be able to answer at this point:

If we assume that GM+SIP will use OPAL, then I can answer some of these
questions:

> * what audio codecs will be supported (711 alaw, ulaw, GSM, speex) ?

OPAL will support all of the audio codecs that are supported by OpenH323,
which includes all of the above.

> * will video be supported in the first (sip supporting) release ?

OPAL will support video (although it does not currently).

> * what interoperability problems might be expected regarding MS
>   products (Windows Messenger), as foreseeable at the current stage
>   (h323 example: netmeeting/gnomemeeting and speex) ?

I don't know what codecs are supports by Messenger, so I can't answer
this question.

> * about what time will it take for the first sip release ?

I'll let Damien answer this one :)

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog