Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll

On Friday 10 December 2004 22:32, lambert Bernard wrote:
> gnomemeeting-list-request gnome org a écrit :
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:41:47 +0000
> > From: Mirco Scaramucci <mircobeaker hotpop com>
> > Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll
> >
> > There's really no other way of describing this problem.
> > The fact is that my webcam, whatever driver I have tried, counting in
> > all the options such as havinng kernel source installed and so on,
> > haven't worked at all and I'm still left dealing with having to restart
> > everytime I want to be in Video contact with friends and family, which
> > is quite often.
> > I have already tested two different webcams with Suse and none of them
> > has worked.
> > All I am asking is for somebody to CLearly say: "This Webcam or that
> > Webcam do really work on Suse or whatever.
> > Up till now all the discussion forums I have joined, all te technical
> > site I've contacted (including suse and the qce-ga) have been EXTREMELY
> > vague and unhelpful.
> > What webcam do you actually use?
> > Is it working properly on your machine.
> > I am ready to buy a new one again as long as I am certain it won't be a
> > waste of money again.
> >
> > Sorry for offloading.
> >
> > Mirco
>
> I don't know if that will help
>
> I use GM with creative webcam which use pwc module
>
> to use it i should modify the option in the kernel config and run make
> modules and modules_install.
>
> the option is on first menu you de select only drivers expected to
> compile cleanly
>
> after you will see in device drivers /usb you wil be able to select
> phlips module
>
> regards

Hi,

I've been a SuSE fan since 7.3. In 9.2, I had to compile myself the Qt library
to be able to use French or Spanish accents in Lyx or in KWord, & -in order
to be able to use my Philips ToUcam- I had to compile myself the pwx module
(take a look at http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/files/pwc-10.0.6.tar.bz2). When
I found out that I couldn't burn CDs -not even as root- , I went back to 9.1,
in which I could: I do not know why, I could no longer. As I avoided apt-dist
upgrades, I did have accents, but -obviously- no webcam.
Enough being enough, I'm out -and in into Mandrake. My Philips ToUcam  worked
out of the box. Yes, I had to buy the boxed version: downloaded isos are for
free, but then you'd have to burn them...

Regards