[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Gnomemeeting

Le dim, 18/04/2004 à 19:29 +0200, cpietsch1 web de a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> i have two questions concerning gnomeeting that are not covered in the faq yet.
>
> 1) Can I have an encrypted videochat with my friends?

Yes, but not using the software directly.

> If yes, could you explain shortly one or two methods to me?

The easiest is to use CIPE.
http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html

But you could also use any other VPN software between you and your
partners.

> 2) Is it possible to have a real conference?
>
> What I mean is not just to have one window of one partner at a time. I want to see 4 small screens of my partners at the same time and they can see mee and the other 3 guys as well

Yes, you have to use OpenMCU from http://openh323.sourceforge.net
However I think the latest reworked version doesn't support video
anymore, so if it happens, download an older version. Notice you will
need *high* bandwidth to host the MCU as it will upload n times the same
data for the n users.

> 3) How good is your compression algorithm in contrast to the realy good professional voip tools like   Apples iChatAV?

You will tell me ;)

The quality will approximatively be the same, but it will required more
bandwidth, at least for video.

And I wouldn't certainly call iChat AV a " really good professional voip
tool " as it doesn't offer any of the voip features that you can find in
professional tools. It is just a simple video chat application.