[GnomeMeeting-list] Running the Configuration Druid's "test aidio"

I run "test audio".  I speak "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10" at about 1 second
intervals.  After the 5 second delay I get "4, 5, 6, 7" coming back, but then
4 starts again but much louder, and after getting to 7, starts again even
louder, and so on.  So I seem to get 3-4 seconds of sound repeating each time
ever louder.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200
Here's the output of:
# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [I82801CAICH3   ]: ICH - Intel 82801CA-ICH3
                     Intel 82801CA-ICH3 at 0xd800, irq 11

Is this unusual?  Or should I simply get the sound sequence delayed (i.e. no
repeats)?

I have used both recording and playback many times in the past - both
successfully.

The same hardware works perfectly under WinXP running NetMeeting.

Thanks,

David.