RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] Bad echo only on Dell Latitude laptops

Christopher Warner wrote that I should turn off the playback of my mic
sound.  Here is my experience trying to do so:

When I use the audio test druid with a Panasonic laptop, I can use the mic
setting of the Volume Settings utility to control whether or not I hear
myself while I am talking into the mic.  However, regardless of the mic
setting, I don't get any echo in the GnomeMeeting playback.

When I use the audio test driud with a Dell Latitude laptop, I hear myself
while I am talking regardless of the mic setting in the Volume Settings
utility.  And I get echo in the GnomeMeeting playback regardless of the mic
setting.

The only other Volume Setting that appears to affect the microphone is
igain.  It acts as a general volume control for the microphone.

I have tested lots of different combinations of Volume Settings on the Dell,
and the only way I can control the echo is to just keep the settings low and
talk loudly.  The echo is then kept to a minimum.

Any further advice?