[GnomeMeeting-list] Bad echo only on Dell Latitude laptops

As I have mentioned, I have been hearing some very bad echo when using
GnomeMeeting on my Dell Latitude laptops.  I have recently discovered:

1.  The echo is not there when using Panasonic laptops (using the same
headsets).  Interestingly, Panasonic laptops use the same Intel audio chips
as the Dell laptops.
2.  The bad echo is also present when using the audio test driud on a single
Dell laptop.
3.  When using the audio test driud, I can hear my own voice (immediately)
on the Dell laptops, but not on the Panasonic laptops.

If possible, I would still like to be able to use the Dell laptops with
GnomeMeeting.  I have been thinking of trying to find a headset with a USB
microphone jack to see if that makes a difference.  I also thought of trying
to get a PCMCIA sound card for the laptop.  Does anyone have any other
ideas?