[GnomeMeeting-list] Bad echo

Last week I wrote:

"I am getting bad echoing using gnomemeeting.  I have connected two laptops
running gnomemeeting on the same subnet.  Unless I control the audio
parameters very carefully, the audio starts echoing repeatedly.  Sometimes
the echoing goes on forever, getting louder with each echo.

I am using gnomemeeting with Redhat 9.0 and the ALSA audio driver.  I am
controlling the audio parameters using the standard Redhat linux Volume
Control utility in the Sound and Video menu.  I set volume and mike to about
80%.  Neither of those settings seems critical.  If I set pcm and igain to
about 33%, then the echoing is not noticable and I can still hear the audio.
If either pcm or igain is greater than about 33%, then I get echoing.  If
either is greater than about 50%, then I get infinite echoing.  If either is
less than about 30%, then I can't hear the audio."

"I am using headsets (with earphones that block outside noise).  I have even
tried turning off the speakers on the sending side and turning off the
microphone on the receiving side.  I still get the echo."

Here is my new question:

I have found that I don't get any echo if I turn up only the mic and igain
settings on the sender side and turn up only the volume and pcm settings on
the receiver side (using the standard RedHat volume control).  But it isn't
practical to change volume settings every time the other person wants to
speak.  If I don't turn up pcm on the receiver side to at least 25 or 30%, I
can't hear anything.  But if I turn pcm up much more that 30%, then I get
the bad echoing.  My question is: Is it normal to need to turn up the pcm
volume control?  Does everyone need to have mic and igain turned up on the
sender side and volume and pcm turned up on the receiver side?  Could this
be a clue to my problem?

P.S. Some people responded that my sound card might be the cause of the
echo.  I am using the built-in Intel i810_audio card in my Dell Latitude
C610 laptop.  If my built-in audio card is the problem, does anyone have a
recommendation for a PCMCIA sound card that I can put in my laptop.