[GnomeMeeting-list] choppy audio with very bad echo

I am using GM 0.85 (default installed by RH 7.3 on an IBM T30 laptop
with a plain old intel i810 soundcard.  I am using the "i810_audio"
driver that the RedHat install put on by default.  When I enable audio
in GM it comes through as extremely choppy and there is a very bad echo.
 Using the Sound Recorder from the Gnome menu, it records and plays back
fine.  I have seen on the FAR that the also drivers fix non-existent
sound, but nothing about the problem I am seeing.  I have to get this
working on 14 of these laptops with identical hardware, so if I don't
have to install also, that would be better.  Please help.