Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] video bandwidth control problems

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:54:01 +0000
David Selby <meeting pusspaws net> wrote:

..deleted

> The GSM codec works & is great without video. When Video is engaged the
> audio becomes very choppy.
>
> Audio only uses about 4KB/s
> I checked the FAQ & set video20k/bs, video quality 20%, 1 frame/sec, 2
> background blocks.
>
> 20kb/s + 4kb/s =24kb/s
> A lot less than the theoretical max of 56KB/s dial up link.
>

> Stilly choppy. In fact no matter how far I reduce the video KB/s The
> audio is still choppy.
>
> Any Ideas

I'm not sure where the bandwidth figures you are using come from, but be
aware that the bandwidth figure quoted for codecs are just the raw
payload types. Depending upon the number of frames per codec, the actual
bandwidth used can be nearly 150% of the raw bandwidth figures.

For more information, see http://www.openh323.org/docs/bandwidth.html

From that, page I can see that an audio only connection with single
frame per packet GSM actually uses 29.2kps.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 PGP Key:     http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:        http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl87w7/blog/