Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] video failure with ovfx2

Hi,

I take offense at this comment:

> GnomeMeeting author: "GM works with other cameras, it must be a driver bug"
> Driver author: "Driver works with other apps, it must be a GM bug"
> Me: "I don't care, I'll fix the bug myself, I just want it to work"

The driver author is wrong.

If the driver works with some apps, one has proof the driver
 may correctly implemenet some of the v4l spec.

You see, apps use only some of the V4L spec.
Apps will contain workarounds for driver inadequacies.

One does not have proof the driver implements (correctly) the entire v4l
spec.

Explain this to me driver author:
Why does GnomeMeeting work with some cameras, and not others?

Noone has shown where GnomeMeeting differs from  the V4L standard.

Since GnomeMeeting is the one constant thing, and has yet to be shown
where it differs from the V4L standard, I conclude it is driver
deficiencies.

You will note from an inspection of
./pwlib/src/ptlib/unix/video4linux.cxx
comments like:

  // Some drivers always return success for CSPICT, and can't
  // read the current palette back in CGPICT.  We can't do much
  // more than just check to see if there is a preferred palette,
  // and fail if the request isn't the preferred palette.

 This is what I have found from hours of tedious debugging. Does this not
read like, "driver author did not do a full and proper job?????"

Apologies for starting a flame war. However, I am sick and tired of
driver writers who believe (incorrectly) that their code is
correct. Sigh, am I being arrogant in thinking GM is correct in its use of
V4l code ? Maybe. But, lets move on  to the goal of working, correct,
code.

Derek.