Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] (no subject)

I don't blame gnomemeeting at all.
I am just going by what I can find on the web. I want more than anything to get this to work... I am completely blaming my hardware at the moment. I am 90% sure that this is the very first edition of the color quickcam made by connectix back in the mid 90's or so...it may be too old. It could be that the sites I am getting my information from are just confused between Logitech and Connectix versions. However this weekend I will have plenty of time to play...I will keep you posted.

From: derek indranet co nz
To: gnomemeeting-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] (no subject) Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:11:51 +1200 (NZST)

Hi,
 Test first that your driver works with xawtv.

  If it does not work with xawtv,
         give up immediately as the driver is not v4l compatible.

 If it works with xawtv,
     *you know the driver implements SOME of the v4l specification.
     *the driver may work with gnomemeeting,
        (gnomemeeting uses different v4l calls to xawtv. for example,
         gnomemeeting requests a different screen size, and image format)

 If it works with xawtv, but not with gnomemeeting, try
   a)specifying a default/preferred format of rgb24
   b)a web search for gnomemeeting and the name of your camera.
      see what other people think of your camera with gnomemeeting.
   c)modifying pwlib/src/ptlib/unix/video4linux.cxx to contain hints
      specific to your camera. Send your changes to me/this mail list,
      and I will add the code to the cvs.
   d)DONT blame gnomemeeting.
       many video drivers are tested so that they work with xawtv, but not
         against the full v4l spec.
       the video grabber code in gnomemeeting was very carefully written
          to follow the v4l spec.
       Nonone has found code in pwlib video handling that is wrong.

       Criticism of gnomeemeeting video, without carefull researh,
         is the quickest way to get me to ignore your comments.

Damien, this comment is almost suitable for the faq.

Derek.
 (p.s. I am away on holiday for 10 days, and may be late in  replying to
        emails. I return 1 October)

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.