Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ALSA tests results

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 13:43, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Thanks to those of you who have helped. I think that if you have
> problems with RedHat 8.0 and ALSA, the best to do is to recompile a
> stock kernel for your machine.

While you may be absolutely correct in your assesment of the situation,
your last recommendation is something that your average user is not
likely to do.

In the fwiw department, even though I couldn't use GM with my
short-lived Alsa installation, I could use other apps including my Gnome
Sound Recorder.  I couldn't detect any difference between using the Alsa
driver and the stock RH 8 OSS driver.  This is with the es1371.  So
perhaps another alternative for many users is to simply leave the stock
RH 8 driver alone and not be concerned with Alsa.

I do realize that this may not be a viable option for some users and
soundcards but this was the option I ultimately chose and it works for
me.

And thanks again for _your_ involvement.  Too bad other projects don't
have leads with such a high degree of engagement.