[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Sound problems with 0.94

G'day Stefan and Damien,

Thanks for your comments. I have a couple more questions just to try
and clear it up.

First, Stefan's points:

> daemon, or if you are using Gnome, maybe esd is running.

I'm using Gnome, so if I kill esd, would GM still run with sound?

> If you are using arts, the problem can most likely be solved if you
> set it to "no full-duplex" and lower the autosuspend time to 5
> seconds.

So if I change to using KDE3, at least to run GM, it would it be
easier for me to get the sound configured correctly?

> When you are using a dialup-connection with less than 128kbit, this
> may be to much, try if the audio is working with no video, then try
> raising the framerate starting with 1 fps.

I will try this.

I am on a cable connection, but my partner is on a 56k connection.
What would be 'reasonable' frame rates etc. for that configuration?

> Monitor the bandwith
> occupation, this should give you some hints.

What's a good app for that?

Now Damien's point:

>make sure that you are using  ALSA. I have the same soundcard as you,
>and OSS is not able to make it work correctly in full-duplex mode as
>required by GnomeMeeting.

Oh boy, I'm new to linux so when I looked into ALSA I had a small
panic about patching my kernal etc. But I've looked at it all more
carefully and there is a lot of alsa stuff available in my distro
(0.9.0-0.8rc2mdk versions of libalsa2-devel, alsamixergui,
alsa-utils, libalsa2, libalsa-data). I installed all that, and I know
that soundcore is enabled, so does that mean that I still have to get
a driver from alsa-project.org and do all that configuration stuff in
the How-to, or can I now run some commands based on the packages I
now have installed to get ALSA working?  Further, if I try to get
ALSA working, will it automatically take over from OSS and esd, or do
I have to do something to make sure they don't conflict. I realizs
that these questions are not really GM questions, so if there is
somewhere else to ask them, let me know (I suppose I could post them
on an alsa list). Here's the thing though, if I run GM in KDE three
and do as Stefan suggested, can I get around needing ALSA or will I
always run into the problem because of my brand of soundcard (SB
PCI128)?

Until anon,

Sean

--