Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Talking to the ghosts?

Le lun 25/03/2002 à 13:13, Raymond Hamaker a écrit :

> > Yes, so the problem was with the remote endpoints.
> > If they were Windows machines, make sure that they installed the MS-GSM
> > codec for Netmeeting or it is possible that there is no common codec
> > otherwise.
>

> It was a Linux machine ,i'll try it again this evening when my friend is back
> from work.
> Dont think the probl.was on his side,he was connected with someone in France
> and that was ok.
> So i guess Kilian was right about the loopback.

No, what killian meant is that there is always a delay when you receive
your voice back. The fact that you received your voice back when
connected to heraclite, means that everything is ok on your side.

But you should disable the electronic loopback that appears when you
speak in your microphone.

There was a mail sent to this FAQ by Rafael Pinilla ( 	18 Mar 2002    )
describing tips to know what doesn't work when you have sound problems :

"There are several reasons for which you can have no sound at all with
GnomeMeeting :
- The first thing to check is the "History" (View->History). If you are
transmitting sound, you should see that GnomeMeeting starts 2 channels,
one for transmission, and one for reception. If no channels are opened
for audio transmission and reception, it means that you have no common
codec with the remote Endpoint. If that remote Endpoint is using
Netmeeting, it could be a nice idea to make install the MS-GSM codec to
your friend. (See the download section of www.gnomemeeting.org)

- If audio channels are opened for transmission and reception, ie if
there is a common codec, but there is still no sound, it means that
there is a another problem. We have several possibilities too in that
case :
        - You are running another program that blocks the soundcard and
        prevent it to be opened (artsd for KDE is a typical case).
        - You are not using a full-duplex driver. Some OSS drivers are
        not full-duplex, if your driver is not full-duplex, try to
install the
ALSA drivers.
        - The permissions for the device are not correct, check that the
        user can play sounds with other programs.
        - You or your friend is behind a firewall that drops the audio
        packets. Check that it is not the case.
        - Your mixer settings are set to 0, or your microphone is not
        recording (ALSA has a parameter in its config file that allows
        to boost the volume of the audio recording).
"