Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Tips for Netmeeting to Gnomemeeting videoconf

Hi :)

le ven 22-03-2002 à 03:27, Fabio Luis De Paoli a écrit :
> When trying to do one way videoconference from GnomeMeeting to
> NetMeeting, with both sides connected through slow links (56Kbps modems
> connected at 36Kbps) I learned:

That is good news, thanks for your feedback.

> You need to configure GM to send video in a speed NM will be able to
> cope with, or NM shows absolutely no image (sometimes an initial image
> that doesn't update).  I only got it to work by limiting GM to 1 frame
> per second and setting image quality to 10.
>
> If you raise the background block transmission, the image may look
> slightly better but there is a moment when it will freeze too frequently
> at the NM side.
>
> NM apparently doesn't accept direct calls from GM unless NM is connected
> to a directory server.  Wierd...

Yes, weird because people including me are using that situation very
often, without problem and without having to make the remote party
register on a directory.

> Calling GM from NM didn't work.  NM kept waiting for the other side to
> answer, even though the connection was established (the names were
> listed in the main NM window).  Maybe NM doesn't consider the other side
> answered unless it is another NM?

No, it works perfectly. That makes me think that the problem is probably
the same than here above : you simply have problems to connect between
NM and GM, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Running GM with --debug
could help to know why, because it must work.

> Transmission of sound from NM to GM was great, but you need to set the
> jitter buffer high (1000ms).  GM to NM sound transmission didn't work -
> sound arrived at NM in pulses with apparently a lot of "static".

The jitter buffer is when you are sending, not for what you are
receiving. I guess the result would have been far better if you had
installed the GSM codec for NM.
> Cheers,
>
> Fabio

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, Rafael will include your tips in a
question to the FAQ : "Can I do videoconferencing to a Netmeeting client
on slow links (56k - 33-k) ?"

Thanks for your report!