Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] gconf 1.0 or better is required

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Christian Rose wrote:

> mån 2002-03-18 klockan 08.58 skrev Nigel Chapman:
> > I am a newbie and upon attempting to "configure"
> > Gnomemeeting (by issuing:
> > ./configure
> > --with-ptlib-includes=/root/pwlib/include/ptlib
> > --with-openh323-includes=/root/openh323/include
> > --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc )
> >
> > I get the following error message:
> >
> > configure: error: *** gconf 1.0 or better is required.
> >
> > Now, I attempted to download and install gconf (even
> > tried compiling the source code -- which in turn
> > requires OAF 2.0) -- why do I get the feeling that I
> > am missing something obvious?
> >
> > I don't know if this helps but I use a redhat 7.1
> > (wouldn't life be a lot easier in RH7.2?)
>
> Yes. I'd recommend upgrading to RHL 7.2 (it's easy -- just insert the
> first RHL 7.2 CD, reboot, select upgrade existing install) and then
> using the RHL GnomeMeeting RPM packages on the webpage anytime.

Not really a very good solution now. :( I'm running gconf 1.0.0 and cannot
get gnomemeeting to fire at all.  No problems compiling it, but when I
Start it I get "Please check your gconf permissions and settings" or
simular, and then the program aborts.

Why does Gnome Meeting rely on gconf now?  I know it is afterall called
"Gnome" Meeting, but I appreciated that you could happily run it outside
of the gnome desktop, and the fact that it didn't *heavily* need gnome to
compile and run.  Now it seems this is not the case.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Gnome Meeting and have been using it
happily for many months.  I just want to go to the latest version
(0.85.1).  But now I am kind of stuck :( Is there someway to maybe disable
gconf support, or to get this working?

Lawrence Manning

Development Team Leader and Author - SmoothWall - www.smoothwall.org
Email: `formail -z -x From: <thismail`