Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] entry level problem?

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 00:50, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> (Tristan, could you please forward to the mailing list hte detailed
> answer for audio problems that I mailed you last week for inclusion in
> the future FAQ?, thanks)

"There are several reasons for which you can have no sound at all with
GnomeMeeting :
- The first thing to check is the "History" (View->History). If you are
transmitting sound, you should see that GnomeMeeting starts 2 channels,
one for transmission, and one for reception. If no channels are opened
for audio transmission and reception, it means that you have no common
codec with the remote Endpoint. If that remote Endpoint is using
Netmeeting, it could be a nice idea to make install the MS-GSM codec to
your friend. (See the download section of www.gnomemeeting.org)

- If audio channels are opened for transmission and reception, ie if
there is a common codec, but there is still no sound, it means that
there is a another problem. We have several possibilities too in that
case :
        - You are running another program that blocks the soundcard and
        prevent it to be opened (artsd for KDE is a typical case).
        - You are not using a full-duplex driver. Some OSS drivers are
        not full-duplex, if your driver is not full-duplex, try to
install the
ALSA drivers.
        - The permissions for the device are not correct, check that the
        user can play sounds with other programs.
        - You or your friend is behind a firewall that drops the audio
        packets. Check that it is not the case.
        - Your mixer settings are set to 0, or your microphone is not
        recording (ALSA has a parameter in its config file that allows
        to boost the volume of the audio recording).
"

I hope that it helps, there are no other possibility for another problem

Here it is:

> On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 23:34, morten wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > I suspected my problems was the ordinary kind, but I don't find the solution in
> > the archives.
> >
> > I have just installed gnomemeeting (v. 0.84-1 and openh323 v. 1.8.0) on two
> > computers. Both of them are running MAndrake 8.1 and icewm 1.0.9.
>
> You could upgrade to 0.85...
>
> > The first is my laptop (cs4232 audio driver). Sound works fine, xmms does mp3s
> > and the microphone works too.
>
> Does the microphone work at the same time you are playing a mp3?
> What is the result of cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp ?
>
> > The second is using a sb16 card, and after browsing the FAQ a little I decided
> > to install alsa on it. I now have sound and microphone working.
> > A question: should I use the /dev/mixer and the other oss sound devices, or
> > should I specify one of the alsa devices?
>
> The OSS ones.
> >
> > pb I: I may connect and accept incoming calls, but I get no sound (even
> > when both are using the same codec) - I can hear the microphones are working but
> > sound is not transmitted.
> What you are hearing is an echo due to an electronical circuit on the
> soundcard. That doesn't mean that the soundcard is recording any sound.
> Try cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp and talk in the microphone, see if you are
> hearing yourself (do not take the electronical echo into account)
> Does the history says that you are transmitting audio?
>

> > pb II: On the second computer, gnomemeeting does not stop the connection
> > but stalls at "stopping current call".
>
> Probably because the sound has never been transmitted. Equivalence told
> me that they were investigating into that bug.
>

> > pb III: Having installed the gsm on a MS windows netmeeting, I don't suceed in
> > getting any sound. I have noticed that I connect using G.711 which isn't
> > reported as installed in netmeeting.
>
> Select MS-GSM as first codec in the codecs list.
>

> > I suppose thats it for now. Does anyone have any comments?
>
> I hope it helps.
>
> 1) check the history to see if you are transmitting or not
> 2) check the cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp trick
>

> > mo
> > ----------------------------------
> > E-Mail: morten <mobo mobo dk>
> > Date: 17-Mar-2002
> > Time: 22:50:32
> >
> > This message was sent by XFMail
> >

> --
>   _
>  (o-      SANDRAS Damien
>  //\
>  v_/_     Check Out Gnome Meeting !
>           http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

Rafael Pinilla                              Médecin, admin repenti
r_pinilla NOSPAMyahoo com	           Linux addict since 1992
http://www.nexus-medical.org   La FMC par le partage de références